Post-operative instructions following an office procedure: In most cases, steri-strips have been glued on.
Please leave intact until your follow-up appointment or if there are dissolvable sutures until the tape falls off on its own. If the steris do come off before your next appointment, you may cover the area with a Band-Aid or leave open to the air. If a bandage or gauze dressing has been applied, you may remove it the next, day unless otherwise instructed.
1. You may wash the area with soap and water (over the steri-strip)
2. You will be given a follow-up appointment at the time of your surgery at which time, sutures will be removed. If necessary, a new steri-strip is placed and scar care instructions are given.
3. In most cases, you will be able to return to your usual activities following day. You will be informed of any restrictions _______________________________________________.
4. It is not unusual for a small amount of bleeding under the steri-strip.
5. Infections following minor surgery are rare. If the wound becomes painful a few days following your surgery, is developing a red, swollen, appearance or begins to drain, you may have an infection. Please call our office if you have any of these symptoms.
6. Bleeding following surgery is also rare. If the area becomes markedly swollen and painful, you may have some bleeding. Apply a cold compress and pressure to the area. Please call our office.
7. All surgeries may cause some discomfort when the local anesthesia wears off. Following an office excision, you may take Tylenol or any non-aspirin pain reliver. Ice wrapped in cloth applied directly to the operative site often relieves any discomfort.
8. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call the office at (914) 752-6850. 9. I have read and fully understand all instructions.